Skip Navigation Website Accessibility

Animal Control

To reach the Animal Control Officer:
(435) 723-5227

To reach the shelter:
(435) 723-1231

To drop off or pick up an animal:
Brigham City Animal Shelter
1220 W. Forest Street

Sunday-Monday:  closed
Tuesday-Friday:  Noon - 6 p.m.
Saturday:  Closed
Closed on holidays

To license a dog:
Apply in person
Animal Shelter
1220 W. Forest
Noon - 6 p.m.
Closed holidays

City Hall
20 N. Main
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Closed holidays

Dog Licenses

Sterilized dog:
     One-year license:                            $15.00             Senior (60+) one-year license:          $5.00
     Three-year license:                           $35.00
     Senior (60+) three-year license:      $15.00

Unaltered dog:
     One-year license:                             $40.00
     Three-year license:                          $100.00

Residents may have up to four cats and dogs (combined), but can only have a maximum of three dogs.

Dog licenses expire on May 31 and need to be purchased by June 1 at City Hall or the Animal Shelter. Renewal notices are sent in early March.

Rabies vaccinations are required every three years. Brigham City holds a rabies vaccination clinic in May each year to coincide with registration.


Frequently Asked Questions

How much will it cost to pick up my pet or animal from the shelter?

See the current fee schedule here (pdf), or visit the Shelter or the Police Department for a paper copy.

How many cats and dogs can I have at my house?

Brigham City zoning allows up to four cats and dogs (combined) at each residence, with a maximum of three dogs. 

Why do I have to license my dog?

The purpose of licensing is to help track and ensure that dogs are currently vaccinated and to assist in finding an owner if a dog becomes lost. If a dog has a current license, and an owner is at home, the dog can be returned home, saving the owner the cost of impound and boarding fees. Also, if a dog is injured, and is wearing a current license, an Animal Control Officer can take that dog directly to a veterinarian for treatment, which may save the dog's life.

What offenses can I be cited for?

A citation can be issued for violation of any of the following Brigham City Animal Control ordinances:

  • 4.02.040 - Interference with Animal Control Officer
  • 4.03.010 - Failure to license
  • 4.03.030 - Proper license tag not attached
  • 4.03.040 - Unlawful removal of license tag
  • 4.03.050 - Excessive dogs or cats on property
  • 4.04-010 - Animals attacking persons or other animals
  • 4.04.020 - Nuisance animal
  • 4.04.030 - Failure to properly confine female dog in heat
  • 4.04.040 - Disruptive dogs (barking)
  • 4.04.050 - Animals running at large
  • 4.04.060 - Domestic fowl running at large
  • 4.04.070 - Staking animals improperly on unenclosed premises
  • 4.04.080 - Keeping of wild or animal not defined as pet
  • 4.06.010 - Failure to vaccinate
  • 4.07.010 - Unclean or unwholesome premises prohibited (cruelty to animals)
  • 4.07.040 - Harboring of stray animals prohibited, duty to notify

What happens if my animal bites or I am bitten?

It is imperative that all bites be reported to local Animal Control Officers. Any animal that bites must be quarantined for observation for a period of not less than twelve (12) days by Animal Control. The owner shall bear the cost of the confinement. The Animal Shelter shall be the normal place for such quarantine, but other arrangements, including confinement by the owner may be made with the Animal Control Officers, provided the animal has current rabies vaccinations at the time the bite is inflicted.

I found a dog or cat. Can I keep it?

It is unlawful to harbor or keep any lost or stray animal. If an animal is found and the owner cannot be located, the animal should be surrendered to Animal Control. Owners may come look through the shelter rather than call and ask about their lost pets. If the animal is not on public display, the owner may never know their pet has been found. After an animal completes its "stray time" at the Shelter, it is available for adoption.

I found a dead bird. What should I do?

The Division of Wildlife Resources no longer collects birds for West Nile Virus testing. If you find a dead bird in your yard, do not pick it up with your bare hands. If possible, wear rubber or latex gloves. If gloves are not available, invert a plastic bag over your hand, pick up the bird and un-invert the bag. Seal the bag with the bird inside, then place inside a second plastic bag. Seal the second plastic bag and dispose of the bird in the regular garbage bin. If available, Ziploc-type bags work well. See the Division of Wildlife Resources website for more information about West Nile Virus.

Animal Control Officer
Bailey Davis

Shelter Technician Mylea HuntShelter Technician
Mylea Hunt